Monday, August 16, 2010

What you throw is what you get

I threw some knowledge! And I got three raw papayas!!
There's nothing great about these Three Papayas. But there were a couple of things that were nice about this papaya episode. The episode: our watchman has sent these three papayas to me through my maid. He is a farmer-turned-watchman (rural-urban migration). His farming instinct makes him plant some useful plants around our residential complex. We don't pin too much hopes on the produce but we find them handy for our children's science projects and for Vinayaka Chaturthi patri puja. Today morning he found these three papayas severed from the tree and had sent them to me. I was delighted to see the three papayas because:

* He remembered that I once told him that raw papayas are edible and serve culinary purpose.
* He bothered to send them to me. These days maids and watchmen have become highly commercial. Time is money for them and they can't afford to waste a minute. He could have easily dumped them somewhere.
* Anything related to food and agriculture, they are reckoning me. My ideas are finding acceptance.

But when he knows that a raw banana is culinary, why didn't he use it? What is not there in culture is not easy to imbibe. Perhaps people need a demo/workshop. No, I am not going to give one to them. It won't help many. I would rather wait for some formal project to popularise nutritious underutilized species, particularly tree species like papaya, drumstick and Sesbania. Naakoka project kaavalenu...

1 comment:

Sugunasri said...

oh..no.. typo..not raw banana ..raw papaya...that is what culture does to cognition ...raw banana came so naturally to me...overwriting raw papaya

Edutainment

Edutainment
Crossword puzzles for farmers